Will ThoughtFarmer Work for You?
Our intranet software works on most systems, but let’s
ThoughtFarmer’s mobile intranet is a mobile-optimized web app, so it works great in the default web browser of most smartphones:
- iOS (iPhone)
For iPads, both the mobile or desktop version of ThoughtFarmer are available. If you use the desktop version, we recently added beta support for page editing on iOS 5 or better. Give it a try, and let us know what you think!
We won’t ask you to install any special technology on your desktop; all we require is a standard web browser. ThoughtFarmer is optimized for modern web browsers, such as the latest versions of FireFox, Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari.
However, we do support older browsers as well. Here are the minimum versions we support:
- Internet Explorer (IE) 8 for Windows
- FireFox 5 for Windows or Mac
- Safari 4 for Mac
- 1024 x 768 resolution (or better)
A few notes: For single sign-on (SSO) support, Internet Explorer and Windows Integrated Authentication work best. If you’d like to use our Direct Document Editing feature, you’ll need to install Adobe Air (don’t worry — it only takes a few seconds).
Server Hardware Requirements
You only need a server if you choose to self-host ThoughtFarmer. If you’re using our Cloud Edition, you can skip this section!
ThoughtFarmer’s server requirements are pretty light. We’ve worked hard to optimize our software so that it runs well on an average server. Here are a few sample configurations (note that a virtualized equivalent is fine too):
|100 users||2.0Ghz+ Dual Core||4GB||100GB+ 10K RPM|
|500 users||2.0Ghz+ Quad Core||8GB||100GB+ 15K RPM SAS|
|2000 users||2.0Ghz+ Hex Core||12GB||15K RPM SAS2 RAID 10|
|5000+ users||Dual Hexacore Xeon L5640 (or better)||32GB+||15K SAS2 drives RAID 10|
For higher volume environments, we recommend running the database and web servers on separate physical hardware. For load balanced scenarios, please contact us for hardware recommendations.
Server Software Requirements
Again, you only need to pay attention to this if you will be hosting ThoughtFarmer on your own servers.
The basic requirements are:
- Windows Server 2008 or 2012
- SQL Server 2008 or 2012 (Express, Web, Workgroup, Standard, Enterprise)
Optional (but recommended):
- Active Directory: ThoughtFarmer synchronizes with Active Directory for hassle-free, hands-off user administration
- SMTP Server: we require access to an SMTP server to send e-mail notifications
- POP3, IMAP, or Exchange Mail Account: we also require access to a general email account in order for you to be able to use the email-to-ThoughtFarmer feature
To use the SharePoint Intranet Connector, you need SharePoint 2010 or SharePoint 2013 (Foundation, Standard or Enterprise).