Help us build things that work.
Quality Assurance is often the unsung hero of the software development world, ignored and left to the last minute, an afterthought… except at ThoughtFarmer. We firmly believe that any solution is only as good as how well it’s built. And we take our building very, very seriously. We improve employee engagement and productivity by deploying powerful, intuitive social intranets that foster communication and collaboration. This is your chance to be a part of something that makes work better!
As a Software Tester, you will be the last line of defense against bugs, inconsistencies, performance flaws, and basically anything that impacts how well our software serves the needs of our clients and their users. You’re naturally curious, always inquisitive, unafraid to make mistakes and try again, passionate for technology, flexible, self-motivated, and driven to invest time in learning new languages, tools, environments and technologies.
As a Software Tester at ThoughtFarmer you will…
- Work closely with the lead QA engineer
- Participate in the entire project life-cycle from design to release and maintenance;
- Assess requirements for testability;
- Perform exploratory, session and risk-based testing;
- Analyze testing metrics, allowing for solution-focused suggestions and new testing approaches;
- Participate in quality assurance reviews of functional specifications and design documents;
- Script automated tests;
- Collaborate with developers and product owners, managers, and leads to understand project requirements;
- Evaluate test results to determine compliance with test plans, established business processes and business requirements;
- Take ownership of product quality and courageously stand against the tyranny of “good enough”.
Is this the right fit? Here are some requirements.
Minimum education and job experience
- You are a Post-Secondary graduate. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in Computer Science because we’ve found that good people who are capable of critical thinking come from all disciplines.
- Or you are not a Post-Secondary graduate, but you can explain why the skills that you do have make that fact totally irrelevant.
- 2 – 3 years work experience in a software testing / IT role.
We also want you to have experience with:
- Working both independently and within a team environment;
- Open source and commercial test management and test execution tools;
- Multi-tasking (prioritizing and executing) and working well under pressure to meet deadlines;
- Navigating and working through challenges with a positive attitude;
- Participating in customer discussions regarding project status;
- Automation, performance testing, and ability to drive testing automation initiatives; and
- Experience with Microsoft environments, revision control software and SQL databases.
Other experience we value:
- Build tools / CI e.g. TeamCity
- Developing unit testing and integration testing e.g. nunit, selenium webdriver, cypress
- Source control e.g. git
- User provisioning services e.g. Active Directory, Azure, Google, Okta
- Load testing tools e.g. k6.io
- Troubleshooting issues across multiple browsers
- Working in an agile development environment
What we offer
We believe in treating people well, compensating them fairly, and supporting them in living fulfilling, balanced lives. We offer great extended benefits, flexible time-off, and professional development opportunities for all staff. We want people to feel they can bring their whole selves to work and strive to offer an environment where everybody feels listened-to, welcome, and safe. Our downtown Vancouver office is stocked with organic groceries, is bike-friendly, and easily accessible by bus, SeaBus, SkyTrain, and West Coast Express.
We are committed to accessibility and inclusivity and are always working to evolve and improve our practices as we learn. If you require any accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know.
How to Apply
You’ll need a resume and a cover letter explaining why you would be a great fit for our team.
Only candidates that meet the minimum requirements will be considered. No phone calls please. Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. High-five if you read and adhere to the small print.